credits: Ignacio Pol.
100% Live Online
Optional: Practices in face-to-face study
10 classes: Thursdays from 19pm to 22pm and Saturdays from 10am to 13pm
3 classes: Intensive Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 17 p.m. with practices in Recording Studio
A basic understanding of Unreal Engine 4 (or similar engines) and any 3D or video post-production software is recommended.
School leader en
Of our students
in the industry.
Of our students are recommended by graduates and industry professionals.
Virtual Production with Unreal Engine
What is virtual production or virtual production?
"Virtual production" is a general term to refer to a very wide variety of digital methods aimed at producing and displaying content in real time. Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) technologies are often combined with graphics generated by video game engines.
Creative leaders have shown that virtual production is revolutionizing the way movies, series, television, events and digital content are made with incredible results.
Previewing, motion capture, virtual cameras, and real-time compositing are essential virtual production techniques in modern content creation.
They allow producers, directors and the technical / creative team to preview and render digital assets on set in real time, including virtual sets, character animations, and effects applied to real objects and actors.
In this professional training path, you will learn to apply technical and creative fundamentals when facing a project, breaking with the classic way of creating content in a linear way. The lack of dynamism, the wait for returns or exchanges that take a long time, the "rendering problem" and the uncertainty of what a finished product will look like will increasingly be a thing of the past.
Main advantages of using virtual production methods:
- It favors a more dynamic, non-linear and collaborative process
- Allows filmmakers in all creative areas to make decisions on the spot
- Enables much earlier iterations in the production schema
- It offers configurable tools that are very easy to modify at the moment according to the needs of the filmmaker
- Generate higher quality images from the beginning of the process
- Produces ready-to-use compatible and interchangeable items from preview to final delivery
- It incorporates new multiuser and remote workflows, allowing real-time collaboration between different team members regardless of physical distance
- Dramatically reduces production costs and post-production time.
Some of the things you will learn during the journey:
- Integrate virtual production within different types of projects (film, television, live events, etc.)
- Understand the compatibility of different hardware, software, and input and output protocols
- Design custom real-time workflows and technical manuals
- Preview and compose live different environments and digital objects in a set (virtual stages, virtual sets, etc)
- Compare different body, facial and object MOCAP (motion capture) technologies
- Understand the stages of realization that are being modified by this new paradigm
- Generate the necessary knowledge to apply to the new work areas that are being created
- Analyze the advancement of different mobile technologies in the generation of content
- Develop an interactive VCam (virtual camera) to use on a film set
Tools and software to use
Companies where our graduates work
- Historical review and evolution of virtual production
- PreRender vs realtime. Advantages and disadvantages
- Theory to understand video signals and their compression
- Cables, connectors and codecs
- Video cards and necessary hardware
- 3D software basics
- Unreal as a composition tool
- Import of assets made in other software
- Blueprints and custom tools
- Interactive lighting
- In / out protocols: Livelink, spout, NDI, OSC and DMX
- How to match the real with the virtual
- Display media (monitors, VR glasses, projectors, LEDs)
- Motion capture technologies. Pros and cons
- BodyTracking (Kinect) and face tracking (IphoneX)
- Streaming software (OBS, vMix)
- Practice in Set 1: VFX and CGI animation
- Practice in Set 2: Television and virtual sets
- Practice on Set 3: Theater, Live Events and Art Installations
Meet your mentor
Degree in audiovisual production, co-founder of CONTROL Studio, a company where he currently works as a VFX supervisor and senior composer. With solid experience in the industry since 2005, he has served as a 3D generalist, motion graphics artist and stereoscopy supervisor in various studios throughout his career.
With CONTROL Studio he has participated in the visual effects of dozens of national and international projects for film, TV, advertising, theater, live events and virtual reality.
In the academic field, he teaches subjects of composition, mapping and VFX supervision at various universities.
He is currently researching and developing new tools that combine visual effects in realtime engines.
Did you know that we are the first authorized Unreal training center in LATAM?
(Authorized Training Center - ATC)
We are recognized by Epic Games for continuing to offer the highest quality content in relation to Unreal Engine. We have access to exclusive content for partners and the most recent updates to their study plans among other benefits.
Areas where our graduates work
Virtual Production Supervision
Motion Capture monitoring
Virtual Production TD
VFX Technical Project Manager
Virtual Production Stage Manager
Virtual Camera Operator
Who is it for?
- Film, TV or event producers
- Visual Effects Supervisors
- 3D Artists
- Post coordinators
- Directors of artistic development
- VFX Composers
- Engine programmers like Unreal or Unity
- Creative Directors and Producers
- Art directors
- Game designers
Infrastructure and Technological Resources
In a building environment specially designed for our activity, all our classrooms are equipped with state-of-the-art computers. One PC per student with all the software required for each course.
Careers and Related Courses:
- Introduction to Unreal Engine
- Visual Effects (VFX)
- Generative Design in Augmented Reality
- Adobe After Effects
- 3D Interaction Design in Virtual Reality with Unreal Engine
- Motion Graphics
- VFX: Creation of Immersive Environments
- Augmented Reality with Unity
- Concept Art Digital Illustration